Grand Junction Symphony Guild
The Grand Junction Symphony Guild is dedicated to raising funds for the support and promotion of the Grand Junction Symphony Orchestra (GJSO). For these purposes, the Guild conducts a wide variety of fundraising events to which the community is invited. Financial support generated by these events also enables the orchestra to provide various educational activities for the community.
Meetings of the Guild are usually held on the Friday morning before a weekend of Classics concerts is scheduled. A meeting begins with light refreshments, followed by a general business session. A highlight of the meeting is a presentation about the next concert by the GJSO Music Director, who also introduces the guest artists. This provides members an opportunity to ask questions about the concert and performers.
Activities the Guild Finances:
- Support for the Symphony: Each year, a generous check consisting of proceeds from Guild fundraising events is presented to the GJSO Music Director. In addition, the Guild partially underwrites one concert each season.
- Young Artists Competition: This annual activity is open to musical artists nationwide under the age of 25 who compete to appear as a guest artist with the GJSO the following season and to receive a cash prize.
- Instrument Petting Zoo: This gives students of all ages an opportunity to learn about orchestral instruments and try them out.
- Children’s Concert: Funds generated by the Guild’s fundraising events allow the GJSO to present an annual concert for school children in the Grand Valley. Guild members always serve as ushers at this concert.
- Crystal Baton: Students in 6th through 8th grades are invited to submit their original musical compositions for judging by a panel of professional musicians. The winning piece is arranged, orchestrated, and performed by the GJSO in the following season. At that concert, the composer is presented to the audience for recognition and receives a crystal baton and bound copy of the score.
- Concerts in the Classroom: Each spring, small groups of musicians perform in the GJSO’s Concerts in the Classroom program.
Fundraising Events the Guild Conducts:
- Brats in the Park: This is an annual concert-season-kickoff fundraiser held in conjunction with the GJSO’s free summer concert, “An Evening Under the Stars.” During the concert, the Guild sells bratwurst, sauerkraut, hot dogs, popcorn, ice cream, and beverages to concertgoers for their enjoyment of a picnic supper while listening to the beautiful sounds of the Symphony.
- Oktoberfest: Scheduled as a Fall event for members and friends, this is a boisterous German-style celebration with beer and brats at Cross Orchards historic site, featuring oom-pah music from alphorn players.
- Candlelight Dinner: In celebration of the holidays, the Guild invites members and friends to Two Rivers Winery and Chateau to enjoy a delicious meal together in an intimate and beautifully decorated candlelight setting. The event consists of a three-course dinner with appetizers and a special selection of wines. After dinner, local musicians perform music of the season.
- Springfest Luncheon and Fashion Show: This popular event is held at Two Rivers Winery and Chateau, where it provides an opportunity for attendees to enjoy excellent food, wine, and music, and to win door prizes. Beautiful fashions from a local dress shop are modeled by Guild members.
Each year, additional fun and colorful fundraising events are planned. Please contact the GJSO office for more information about these events and how to join the Guild: 970-243-6787.